Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Yellow Tomato Caprese Sandwich

My boyfriend is going to be doing an internship in Africa starting in August for a year! We decided it would be fun to have a weekly date night where we plan something special for each other until he leaves. Last night I planned and I took Matthew on a picnic!

Our menu was:
A fresh mixed greens and baby spinach salad with champagne dressing
Yellow tomato caprese sandwiches (yellow tomatos are my favorite)
Chocolate covered strawberries for dessert (Matthew's favorite)
Orvieto Classico white wine

My sister showed me this wonderful spot that overlooks the Potomac River to take Matthew for our picnic.


Here is my recipe for 
Yellow Tomato Caprese Sandwiches
Makes two 6-inch sandwiches
Ingredients:
  • 1 multi-grain french baguette
  • 1 lb fresh mozzarella
  • 2 medium yellow tomatoes 
  • 2 medium red tomatoes
  • A couple slices of grilled chicken (optional, I gave Matthew chicken because he loves meat!)
  • 2 tbsp basil pesto (I used a Trader Joe's brand)
  • 6-8 leaves of fresh basil
  • fresh ground pepper to taste 
Preparation:
1. Slice the mozzarella and tomatos into thin slices. 
2. Using a serrated knife, cut two 6-inch pieces of the multi-grain baguette and then slice all the way through both leaving the baguettes facing open. 
3. On the inside of the baguette spread the pesto on one or both sides then begin to assemble the tomatoes (alternating red and yellow slices), mozzarella, basil, and chicken on one side of the baguette. Top it off with a sprinkle of fresh ground pepper.
4. Place the other half of the baguette on top of the prepared side and place the fully assembled sandwiches in a panini maker for about 5 minutes or until cheese begins to melt. 
5. Enjoy!

I'd say it was a successful first date-night to kick off the summer!
Now my mom wants to know when I am making dinner for the family... Stay tuned :)

1 comment: