Saturday, August 18, 2012

A Grassroot Soccer Going-Away Party


Throughout the summer I have enjoyed standing alongside Matthew as he prepared to leave for a year long internship in South Africa. I knew our time together would fly by but it went even faster than I could have imagined. To celebrate his last few days in Alexandria, I threw together a little going away party. I had the best time creating decorations, cooking bbq (my mom did most of the cooking!), and coming up with an African themed playlist with my siblings. As "rains down in Africa" played in the background, friends from high school, James Madison, and Virginia Tech came pouring in! By the end of the night I had everyone write encouraging notes to Matthew and we all wished him the best on his upcoming adventure!
Here are some pictures from the night:


Mason Jars for collecting spare change towards Matthew's fundraising.

I printed Matthew's address and blog address on cardstock
and added these ribbons to make little bookmarks.

I love cowboy boots :) Doesn't necessarily match the African or Soccer theme
but it's a little touch of Haley :)



I made this giant map of Africa and gave myself a little geography lesson!




Spice cake cupcakes are my favorite, Matthew likes them too ;) I also made his favorite... chocolate covered strawberries!

Lindsey, Mommy, LP, and Me waiting for the guests to arrive!
 Matthew said he felt so special at the end of the night and was extremely encouraged by the amount of support he has received from so many family members and friends. I was so pleased to be able to put this little shin-dig together for him! Thank you to everyone who helped and came! Click here to hear the latest details from Port Elizabeth!

1 comment:

  1. It was a lovely gesture by you to throw such a wonderful party for Matthew. The decorations and setup of the party was amazing, and it looks like everyone had a wonderful time. I left the states some months ago to pursue my studies here in Europe. My family had also arranged a lovely farewell party for me at the famous venue NYC before my departure.

    ReplyDelete