Tuesday, December 11, 2012

I'm back :) with Cheery Chowder!

Ok so I am back from a couple months of blogging vacation. I wish I could say I was taking a life vacation too but I've been surprisingly busy. My life as a stay-at-home daughter has turned into my life as a substitute teacher, cupcake sales woman, nanny, etc. Much to my mother's chagrin her stay-at-home daughter has not been making dinner as much as we both had anticipated, but I am working on adding that onto my list of responsibilities :) I've been comparing my life since May 5th with what the first few weeks in a college semester used to be like (at least for me). The first few weeks any given semester had a few set in stone scheduled weekly events (e.g. classes), then a few weekly events that hadn't yet been fully scheduled but I knew eventually they would have to be scheduled in (e.g. lab meetings, bible study, thesis meetings), and because of these unscheduled items I felt like I had all this free time so I would schedule tons of lunch/coffee dates and then the next thing I knew the semester was underway and I had overcommitted myself. Without fail that was how every semester at JMU started for me and I wouldn't have had it any other way! Now my life feels a little bit like that every week. Each week has a different schedule and I always seem to fill every waking minute with as much as I can. I absolutely love calendars and planners and I love filling them (I know I am so weird)... but I just feel like I am accomplishing things when I have a full planner :)

Anyway, I have finally had a chance to make something awesome and winter-y that I know you all will LOVE! I like to call it Cheery Chowder. I went to visit one of my best friends last weekend and she made me a delicious version of this chowder. When I came home I told my mom about it and she said she used to make something so similar when I was a kid. So I did a little combination and here it is!

Cheery Chowder

How about that bowl for a self-esteem boost ;)

Ingredients:
  • 2 Tbps butter
  • 1/2 cup chopped onions
  • 1 celery stick chopped
  • 1 cup finely chopped carrot 
  • 1 Tbsp minced garlic
  • 4 cups chicken broth 
  • 1 tsp worcestershire sauce
  • 2 cups chopped broccoli
  • 2 cups chopped cauliflower
  • 1 Tbsp flour
  • 1/2 cup of water
  • 2/3 cup of milk
  • 2 cups of shredded cheddar cheese
  • 1 can white corn (drained)
  • 1 package of Canadian bacon diced 
  • Salt and pepper to taste 
Cooking Directions:
  1. In a large soup pot melt the butter.
  2. Add the chopped onions, celery, carrots, and garlic over medium heat until all are tender.
  3. Add chicken broth and worcestershire sauce and bring to a boil.
  4. In a separate pot steam the broccoli and cauliflower for about 7 minutes or until it becomes slightly tender (you don't want it to become mushy)
  5. Mix flour and water, then add it to the soup and bring to a simmer until it starts to thicken a little.
  6. Add milk and cheese, stir until cheese is melted.
  7. Finally add in the broccoli, cauliflower, corn, Canadian bacon, and salt and pepper.
  8. Serve hot and add a little more cheese as a garnish if you are feeling extra cheesy :)

1 comment: